CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, October 11, 2007

37 Days & Still No Tags

I started out today by going to buy license plates for my son Robby's car.(the car is suppose to be titled in my name) He purchased his car from his sister Amy who leased the car brand new, then bought it when the lease ran out. She sold him the car she had paid off 2 years earlier. So for the last 5 years we have been receiving the tag renewal by mail. Two days before Robby got the car ( in 2004) Amy was in an accident and damaged the front plate. So Robby has been driving the car for 3 yrs without the front plate. Which didn't seem to be a problem for the last 3 yrs since 19 states do not require a front plate. Except Ohio does. On Sept 4 Robby was stopped by a Westerville City police officer who gave him a warning to get his plates in 4 days or he would receive a ticket. So the next day I went to the BMV to purchase new plates  I called a head of time  to see if I needed to bring the title with me since I could not find it anywhere. They said all I needed was my Drivers License. When I got there they would not let me buy them because the car was still titled in the banks name. So after waiting in line for 35 minutes they told me to go to the title place and request a new title since I had a letter from the bank saying I had paid the loan in full. When I got to the Title place they told me the car was titled to the bank and they would have to sign it over in my name. Well by now it's 5 o'clock so I cannot call the bank until the next day. When I call the bank the following day they said all I needed was to show the title place my letter and that serves as the paperwork they need and they could only send me another copy of my letter. So I head back over and wait in line again at the title place for them to tell me that the bank did not process the correct paper work and gave me a name & number for the bank to contact to get the proper title. After contacting the bank again they told me they had to request a duplicate title since they did not have the original  and when they received that they would sign it over to me. Approximate turn around time 2 weeks. I have 4 days (I have used 2 now) to get the tags. I called the officer at the Westerville police department and he extends the time for 14 more days. I called the bank back and asked them to fax a letter that I can take to the police to let them know this is being taken care of and how long it will take, they said they could not fax the letter but will put it in the mail for me. Before the letter arrives I receive a ticket by mail and a court date for Oct 10th but if I pay the ticket for $85 Robby does not need to show up for court. So I proceed to call the officer again to see if he can do something about the ticket since this is out of my control. He does not call me back after 2 messages and one to his supervisor. I then go to the police station and talk to the person on duty who tells me there is nothing the police officer can do now but I should call the court house first thing Monday morning that they are pretty easy to work with. I talk to the clerk of courts on Monday she says she can extend the court date for Robby(so he has time to get the tags) but once the ticket is written he has to pay the fine or appear in court and plead not guilty. If the judge sees it Robby's way (which he probably won't) he will only have to pay court cost of $65 and miss class to go to court on Wednesdays only.If he doesn't I will have to pay the ticket and court cost. So I just pay the $85 ticket and wait for the title to come. Low and behold the title arrives minutes and I do mean minutes after Robby goes to the court house to pay the ticket and then on to work. He calls me from work to tell me the wonderful Westerville police has stopped him again for the front tag luckily I had made a copy of the letter from the bank for him to carry with him but the officer told him he needed to take care of it quickly or they would tow his car. So that begins my day today driving back to the BMV to get his tags. I feel great I have the title and my check book I walk into the BMV and there is no line (a miracle in itself). The clerk tells me that this is a duplicate title and in order for me to buy tags  I can either take the title to the title place and get a title right away then come back to the BMV to get my tags or they can do it for me by mail for a $10 fee. Well I'm pretty tired of going back and forth from the title place to the BMV so I'm willing to pay another $10 at this point. It has taken me 4 trips to the BMV  and 2 to the title place but I'm so close to getting the tags.  As the clerk process the paper work she tells me she needs a check for an additional $568 for sales tax because the bank put the purchase price on the back of the title. How I kept my composer for the first time in my life is unbelievable.  At this point I'm not sure if this is a nightmare or reality when I realized I had the letter from the bank in my hand stating I paid $8700 + 568 sales tax. The clerk really feels bad for me as she tells me I have 2 choices now. Get the bank to cut me a check for $568 or they need to get another title without the price of the car on the title. That she said could take another 2 to 4 weeks. But the good news is she can sell me 30 day tags for an extra $10. By the time I get home it's too late to call the bank so that is how I will start my day tomorrow. I did get my walking in after I took Robby's 30 day tags to his work. The cool weather felt pretty good tonight. I think I needed it to cool down. Did you know the slogan on New Hampshire license plates is ‘Live Free or Die’. These license plates are manufactured by prisoners in the state prison in Concord.

weight 152
temp 56
humidity 75%
9756 steps or 4.92 miles
calories burned 363